Sunday, October 10, 2010

10/10/10

It's 10/10/10! You must admit, it would be pretty cool to have that birthday.  If I make it past today, I will happily fatten up these babies to full term (37 or 38 weeks for twins, depending on who you ask).  But today would give the girls a little conversation piece for life. Unfortunately, I'm not really feeling like today will be the day.  Plus, if my labor is like Mama's, as my pregnancy has been, then I'm looking at 24 hours of laboring, making it 10/11/10.  Let's hope the similarities with the mother diverge there.

On a different note, I made Alice Waters' Buttermilk Pancakes for Saturday morning breakfast and they were divine!  I did use 4 different kinds of flour -- not the simplest ingredient list for pancakes -- but fun to make and very yummy.  I'll post the recipe at some point, or really, you should just buy the cookbook (see previous post).  The blueberries liked them, too.

More food notes: Michael and I are taking every advantage of these last few days with portable babies and no babysitter price tag to sample lots of Atlanta restaurants.  This town has an impressive selection.  Here's where we have tried so far and a top dish at each:

Holman and Finch: The Sticky Toffee Bread Pudding with ice cream (hazelnut or some such delicious flavor) was the best dessert I've had in memory.  The menu changes daily, so if you luck into this one when you are there, ORDER IT!  We also enjoyed several dishes that incorporated the 500 pound hog H&F purchased about a month ago.  They do all the butchering themselves and use every part they can (see offal).

The Iberian Pig, in Decatur: The Pork Tenderloin was beautifully presented and great to share among four people.  We split four other tapas dishes with our friends, the Dutsons, and it was just the right amount of food. Top that off with some meaty tacos, compliments of the chef, and it was sealed, we will frequent the Iberian Pig (starting in a few months I guess).

Pacci: Duck Confit over polenta -- crispy on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth meat.

Veni Vidi Vici: For Midtown Restaurant week, we enjoyed a 3 course meal for $25. It's hard to beat battered Asiago cheese with a red pepper puree.

The Porter Beer Bar: Gastropub in Little Five Points, the Belgian Fries were perfection and I loved my Korean BBQ Sandwich. The beer menu was a book and had one that Michael's beer connoisseur professor smuggled back from Belgium for a law school tasting (Kwak -- comes in a cool glass, ask for the story behind the glass).

TAP:  Loved the spicy fried chicken and pork tacos. Good beer selection. Michael liked Three Philosophers.

Rosebud: Michael's risotto of the day was great.

Other great spots we have tried for lunch and quicker dinners: Flip Burger, Yeah Burger, The West Egg, La Fonda, and the restaurant just next door to our condo, Quattro.  We were pleased with all.  I told you I'm working on fattening these babies up!

No comments:

Post a Comment