Thursday, January 20, 2011

Four Nights Sans Babies

Four nights without babies means:
  • 8 plus hours of un-interrupted sleep almost every night!
  • You have amazing in-laws and parents that you can trust to take care of your three month olds
  • There was a very appealing vacation that could not be missed
  • You have to pump for 2 months before you leave
  • You return with a freezer full of milk
Last weekend, Michael and I went on our fifth annual ski trip with our dear Texas friends to Beaver Creek, CO.  Even three month old cutie-pies could not keep us away.  Michael's parents win in-laws of the year because they drove six hours to keep Allie and Harper for three nights.  My parents kept them the final night. I was anxious about leaving them for a month.  I made a 5 page document with instructions, hinted that I would love for them to keep a log of their eating and sleeping, and cried leaving them and returning to them (just a few tears, happy tears).  I'm very glad we went because we had a fabulous time with great friends, and I'm a better mom after having such a relaxing break.  It was sad to discover that I don't ski with the same aggression that I used to.  There is something about having two little ones counting on you that prevented me from taking on multiple black diamonds.  Or maybe it was because I'm in the worse shape of my life.  Michael did run into a tree skiing through a glade, so I don't think he was being Mr. Cautious Daddy.

They changed in four days!  Harper laughs, coos, and smiles more than ever, and she is actually reaching for toys.  When you put Allie on the ground, she kicks like she wants to take off on a bicycle and she is still such a smiley girl.  Both of them are stronger and could flop out of my arms in one motion.  I used to always tote them around together, but it makes me nervous to only have two arms for both of them now.  Hopefully, they will start hanging onto me soon to make the double tote feasible again.

No comments:

Post a Comment