Friday, November 12, 2010

Pediatrician Visit

I'm happy to report that Harper and Allie have been bulking up. At their one month (almost one month) appointment here are their stats:

Harper:
7 pounds 6 ounces (10th percentile)
20 inches (16th percentile)
Allie:
6 pounds 9 ounces (3rd percentile)
20.2 inches (24th percentile)

Dr. Chugani was pleased with their growth. It is funny that we think Harper is so big and she hasn't even reached what I weighed at birth (7 pounds 14 ounces). Mom and I asked a bunch of questions and learned a lot. Dr. Chugani agreed with us that babies do sleep better on their stomachs but explained why we need to keep them on their backs at night until they can roll over. It's not just that could bury their face and suffocate (I was skeptical of this because they have such strong necks already) but having their face against a surface can create an air pocket where they continuously breathe in their own carbon dioxide causing them to suffocate. I found that interesting and was reason enough to keep them on their backs even though they sleep so soundly during tummy time.  Tummy time is for daytime only for now.

She also wants to play it on the safe side and have Allie's eye checked by an ophthalmologist. Since birth, she has rarely opened her left eye as wide as her right eye and we just want to make sure those brain waves are connecting with visual stimuli.  I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with that eye, but we'll go get it checked out per Doc's orders.

Peaceful tummy time (and my long toes)
In other news, my parents came this week and we took the girls out to dinner both nights.  They didn't make a peep both meals, as is usually the case when they are in public.  They love lots of background noise. Wish they slept so soundly at night!  I know we will miss these days of being able to cart them everywhere when they have to be on a more set sleep schedule and in their cribs. They love to shop too. And by love, I mean sleep through the whole trip. 
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

1 comment:

  1. Kakhi,
    I love keeping up with the girls' progress! Sounds like y'all need to spend most of your time out in public, at least during the middle of the night. I wonder what people would think about a family all asleep on a bench in the mall at 3:00 AM?
    Mark

    ReplyDelete